Sunday, February 19, 2012

Retrieving Data- FEB 3, 2012, 10:31pm

First week is finally over.
 When I first arrived I had the famous Pupusa. Like I mention in my previous post, it's a tortilla filled with Cheese or meat. My translator, Fabio was very protective of me and refused to let me eat any meat, so I had the one with cheese. It was still good. Very interesting but good. 
Here is the school setting. All week this week I was at school teaching English along side my missionary partner, Giromo. And of course, a silly picture of the kids and myself.
A tradition that the people here in El Salvador have every Thursday at 8pm is a bicycle ride around town. It's usually a 4-5 mile bike. There were roughly 200 people out that evening. It was so cool, all the cars had to wait for us, the police volunteered their time to help watch over us. It was very neat. 

First week is finally over, I'm slowing understanding the culture and the people. I'm slowly picking up Spanish, I'm still working on forming the sentences but I'm getting it there. It's difficult to learn when your translator actually wants to translate. In other words, they are in school learning English so when they get the chance to speak English, they are gonna take it.  It's very different here than the states. Trash is everywhere, you can taste the pollution. Just yesterday I got really sick. I had a really bad Migraine and when I inhaled the air outside, it made it worse. The main transportation here is the bus. Picture this, instead of our city buses it's school buses.
Food, Yes!!
This is my morning breakfast every day: Re-fried beans, bananas, eggs and bread. It looks like a funky mixture of food but it's actually really good.
I've been working with kids all week and the Lord has been speaking to me about them. I love kids but I never really had the patience to really be with them for a long time. So when I heard that I was going to help teach English, I was a bit concerned. As I continued working with them, the Lord started to break the walls that I built with kids. Every morning I would pray and ask the Lord to give me His eyes, His heart and open my ears to her Him. And they Lord has been speaking to me indirectly about how much He cares for these kids. I may not know what kind of back ground they come from, but the Lord has been putting it in my heart to truly just embrace the moment and the time I have with them. To love them to the fullest. Just the other day, my teacher missionary was talking to one of the kids and the kid started explaining how his Dad beats on his mom and this time, he broke her nose. I just watched my teacher hug this kid has he cried and that broke my heart. I now know why the kids at the school are so touchy and full of wanting attention. Because they don't get it at home. They look for love else where and sometime that else where is at school. I'm so glad that the Lord opened my eyes to this situation. I would love to have a full on conversation with these kids one day! After this occurrence, I thought about actually wanting to open my own orphanage. But i'll pray about it. :D

Keep me in your prayers, I'm not stomach sick but i've been having headaches and I don't know if I'm dehydrated or what but I think it's a spiritual thing. I discerned a few things and prayed against it and ever since that, I've been getting headaches.
Overall, God has been so good. He has blessed me with a great host family who is very understanding and very patient with my poor Spanish. They've been taking me everywhere and really showing me around town. Oh, I forgot to mention this. Earlier in my previous post "Rejoicing to the max" I said a few things in Spanish. I pretty much said that the Lord provided everything for this trip. I was even reimburse for my plane ticket. I didn't start fundraising until the beginning of Jan and the Lord fulfilled everything within 3 weeks. I was worried and always praying and the Lord reminded me of Faith, having faith as big as a mustard seed. Trusting in Him because it was His will for me. God is good!

On a side note: I sat through my first earthquake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment